I recently saw a post on instagram that said “Be the reason a stranger smiles today.” and I loved it so much I knew I had to write a blog post about it!
Today there are so many hateful things going on in the world, we need to make our own positivity! Making a stranger smile is so special because you don’t know what they’re going through, and they may have really needed that smile. So what’s an easy way you can make a stranger smile??
Give them a compliment!
There are a million ways to make a stranger smile, but I think the quickest, easiest, and most effective way to make a stranger smile is to give them an authentic compliment! Everyone loves compliments, but there is something extra special about receiving a compliment from a stranger (rather than someone you know personally) and the reaction you receive once YOU compliment a stranger makes it so worth it!
Next time you’re out shopping, getting a coffee, at a restaurant, or anywhere, pay a compliment to your cashier or server! Tell them they have pretty eyes, that the color they’re wearing really compliments them, that you like their name, anything! They will really appreciate it, you will feel great too, and you know that compliment will stick with them throughout the day!
I’m a people-watcher when I’m out in public, so I am constantly complimenting people in my thoughts, and every time I’ve paid the compliment out loud the person is always way happier than I expected and it makes me feel so great!
Have a great Thursday everyone! I’m on my way to school..
Go make a stranger smile!!
This past weekend I got the chance to attend LA Fashion Week 2017 doing stuff behind the scenes and I was also given an industry pass (I got to sit FRONT ROW!) to take pictures at the event for my blog! If you know anything about Fashion Week the one thing you know it’s a huge deal in the fashion industry, so to be behind the scenes of this event meant everything to me and getting to meet everyone who played important roles in making that week all that it is was probably my favorite part.
Fashion Week was a non stop whirlwind but oh man was it literally the best time ever! I left the first night extremely exhausted, I didn’t get home till almost MIDNIGHT! What a night!
Behind the scenes was super hectic, but some how I still managed to speak to the designers participating in Fashion Week, next time I’ll make sure to bring a notepad, because I definitely got some great tips about the ins and outs of the fashion industry from a designer perspective. A lot of designers were kind of enough to share their personal experiences and how they got the idea to start their line and how they ended up there!
All in all my first Los Angeles Fashion Week was more than I could have ever imagined. I feel so fortunate to have attended such an awesome event. Even more exciting news I’ve been invited back, but for Swim Week x LA Fashion Week!
Until next Fashion week!
The calendar says Fall, but LA says summer like seriously it’s supposed to be 90 degrees this weekend. Although this warmer weather during Fall time is not much of a shocker since I’m from Palm Springs I do kind of wish the weather would transition into being a bit cooler at least cold enough for over-sized sweaters and some thigh highs. Oh well! I guess I’ll get to rock my summer outfits a bit longer.
OOTD: (Outfit of the Day):
On another note today was my first day back at FIDM, the start of my sophomore year! Super excited for what this quarter has to offer….. Since it was the first day back I obviously wanted to come in with a bang MEANING my outfit had to be on point. Like I mentioned above the weather is very warm here in LA hence why I’m wearing a skirt (which I got sooo many compliments on) and no sleeves! I’m pretty sure is was colder inside the classrooms rather than outside.
WHAT I’M WEARING (from Head to Toe):
Choker from Forever 21: $5.90
Bralette from Forever 21: $10.90
Crushed Velvet Bodysuit from TopShop: $35.00 (similar)
Suede Skirt from H&M: $24.99
Unfortunately I could not find my shoes to link, but they’re from Forever 21!
Hey Guys, Happy October!!
In the fall I find myself craving tv shows & movies that give me one of two feelings, cozy, or creepy, and for some reason I feel the need to bust watch all my fav cartoon halloween and fall inspired movies. So I’m breaking down all the shows and movies I’ve been hooked on that give me all the fall vibes!
Cozy Shows/Movies – ie. Shows majority are cartoons that are usually set in the fall. They’re the perfect kind of shows to curl up in bed to watch with a bag or popcorn & some hot chocolate.
- Halloween Town (1,2,3,&4) – Did someone say Halloween Town marathon?, these movies are great on of my personal Halloween favs.
- The Proposal – A classic Rom-Com starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, its an older movie but still one of my fall favorites.
- Monster House – cartoon; it sets the Halloween feels and it’s easy to watch.
- Hocus Pocus – A Disney Channel Movie, a must-watch during Halloween time.
- It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown– Definitely have to watch this one with my little brother this fall, its great!
Creepy Shows/Movies – ie. Shows with a bit of mystery and/or horror without being too scary
- Riverdale – Netflix’s new show based around the Archie comics.
- American Horror Story – I recommend the first season “Murder House” definitely has that “haunted” house feel to it, pretty creepy & scary, but I love it!
- The Craft– I’ve already watched it once this fall so far! Who doesn’t love witches, come on!
- Carrie(2013)– I personally prefer the newer version.
I’d love to hear your suggestions for fall/Halloween TV shows & movies I should tune into this year!
Are we friends on Instagram? If you answered no, We definitely need to change that! Like most people, Instagram is my main form of social media that I am actively on and one thing I want to do is connect with more fellow bloggers and influencers! Did someone say blogger besties?
My Instagram is @lifeofmakiya, If you would like to follow me, leave your Instagram handle in the comments below, so I can make sure I’m following you as well and we can connect!
On the theme of Instagram, I also wanted to share today some Instagram accounts I go to for inspiration. I regularly visit these 5 Instagram accounts, as I just love the overall aesthetic of them. They are some of my go-to for getting inspiration in regards to inspo and blog post ideas. Here they are:
BLOG WITH ME
THE HOUSE OF SEQUINS
BOWS AND SEQUINS
I would love to support and follow other fellow bloggers on Instagram, so please leave me a comment if you would like to do so as well!
What are some of your favorite Instagram accounts you go to for inspiration?
Skincare is something that I turn to when I’m not feeling the greatest, because it always uplifts me and makes me feel like I’ve done something productive.
I have a combination of oily + dry skin, so I’m constantly either using blotting sheets throughout the day or moisturizing. Here are some of my favorite skin care products.
CocoShea Cucumber ,its vitamin-packed with cocoa butter and moisturizing Shea butter, Alcohol-free & non-drying. I use this product multiple times throughout the day if I’m not wearing makeup its incredibly hydrating. The cucumber water refreshes, revitalizes, and smells AH-MAZING.
Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Moisturizer Pink Grapefruit, helps with breakouts, oil-free. I use this product in the morning and before I got to bed after washing my face. I’ve used it for quite some time now and I do visibly see a difference when it comes to my breakouts being more controlled. It’s extremely light-weight and moisturizing without that greasy feeling, with a light grapefruit scent.
Neutrogena Deep Clean Daily Cleanser, described as cleaning so deeply and thoroughly that it improves the look and feel of skin; this is another skin care product I use in the morning and before I go to bed, I truly feel after each use this product my skin is left squeaky clean. I apply a dime amount onto my favorite spin-brush (pictured below) more specifically called the True Glow Sonic Skincare Solution described to keep skin clear and prevents clogged pores and blackheads from developing and prepare skin to absorb moisturizers better, I recommend any spin-brush with your favorite cleanser.
All products linked within the paragraphs.
Well readers that’s all! Pretty simple, right? I really try to keep my skin care products to a minimum since I do have very sensitive skin. Less is MORE! I’m very happy with how clear my skin has been looking lately, so I don’t think I’ll be changing this routine anytime soon, but I’m always open to hearing what products for you all! Comment Below!
Until Next time.. xoxo Makiya
Now I’m sure as you’re reading this blog post you’ll feel as though some of these points are cliche or even obvious, but I’ve come to realize sometimes we deny the obvious, no matter how many times we come face to face with it, so instead of saying “I already knew that” try saying you’re going to work on that; just because you knew it already doesn’t necessarily mean you’re practicing what you knew.
Sit back & relax here are a few ways to Stay Positive:
- Think Positive! You’re probably like duh I could’ve told you that! Maybe so, but did you know it is one of the most potent ways to stay positive? When you’ve truly mastered thinking positive that means you have trained your mind to see the good in every situation. Like the quote “Everyday may not be good, but there is something good in Everyday.” I’ve learned even practicing positive affirmations such as: “I deserve to be happy” or “I will do well on my final” does the trick.
- Surround Yourself With People Who Emit Positive Energy! Look I get it your friend is going through a tough time and you’re just trying to be there for them I’m not talking about those individuals, but instead people who are stuck in a problem that you’ve listened to for years also known as the “repetitive and non-changers” I’m not saying cut them off, but do not let them hinder you from living that positive lifestyle you deserve. Let them know you don’t wish to talk about all the negative going on in their life, but instead to focus and talk about new things this could end up benefiting the both of you.
- Practice Gratitude! “It is not happy people who are Thankful, but Thankful people who are happy.” Just simply saying every morning what you’re thankful for can change everything. Such as: “I’m Thankful God woke me up this morning.” What I’ve found very helpful when showing my gratitude for something or someone is to list those things you are thankful for it can be as simple as putting them in your notes app or even writing them down in a notebook or journal. Nothing negative comes out of showing your appreciation for something and try to be thankful for what you have instead of concentrating on what you don’t have.
I really hope that you all take some of tips and use them to your advantage in living a positive lifestyle. If you know of any other ways of staying positive feel free to share them below!
– Makiya Emani